Sunday, April 06, 2008

Hi. I'm Porter. I just turned four on November 25. I have a big brother, Parker, who's 10, and two big sisters, Emma and Eliza, who are 8 and 7. My mom Jennifer won't tell anyone how old she is. I think she's real old, like at least 22 or 23. My dad Jim is probably old enough to be a grandpa.

I was born at Thanksgiving time in 2003. The doctors figured something was wrong when I had little purple dots all over my body. I spent a lot of my first few months in the hospital. I had my arms and feet pricked so many time for blood tests that I finally just stopped crying when the nurses stuck the needles in me. That's when my mom started crying.

In March 2004, I was diagnosed with Juvenile Myelomonocytic Leukemia (JMML), a very rare and lethal form of leukemia. My type of leukemia always comes back after chemo; the only possible cure is a stem cell transplant. Fortunately, my sister Eliza is a perfect match.

I have been in good health for nearly four years now and have not needed treatment. The doctors say my leukemia is just "simmering." This may have something to do with the fact that I also have Noonan Syndrome. While NS has created other problems for me, it has also helped me fight the leukemia.

I love being an honoree for Team in Training. I especially like coming to TNT events and getting hugs and kisses from the babes--I mean the ladies. GO TEAM!

No comments: